Sunday, June 3, 2012

Cauliflower and clams in parsley broth

As a native Long Islander, one of my favorite food groups has always been the seafood group - so much potential for absolute deliciousness there! But when I transplanted myself into DC back in February, I realized I was at a loss as to where to purchase any fresh seafood. Thankfully, I have a fabulous cousin who lives in DC and is far more knowledgable about these things than I am and steered me in the right direction - the Maine Avenue Seafood Market at the SW Waterfront! Armed with this new knowledge, I searched Pinterest and my favorite recipe websites for a fun and easy fresh seafood recipe. Well, thank goodness for Clean Eating Magazine, because they introduced me to a fantastic recipe for cauliflower and clams in parsley broth!


Every Sunday before grocery shopping, my roommate and I plan out our dinner meals for the week so we can try our best not to overspend (it's been working so I recommend this strategy to any young professionals on a budget!). We decided to stick this item in the Saturday night slot so we could have ample time to head out to the fresh fish market. Unfortunately, I was stuck at work on Saturday (the patients still need their therapy on the weekends!) but my resourceful roommate embraced the beautiful DC weather and biked her way over to the market. She got us 2 dozen clams for $12 from Captain White's.


Clean Eating Magazine is probably my favorite go to website for new recipes - they always call for fresh, clean ingredients and are usually easy to make. This recipe only required olive oil, shallots, garlic, cauliflower, chicken broth, parsley, salt and pepper, and, of course clams. For dinner, my roommate and I served our clams over whole wheat spaghetti. The whole process took about 30 minutes to make, but according to the reviews on the recipe website, it can be done in just 20 minutes! Paired with a glass of Merlot and a sunny evening on the back deck, this dinner made for a good way to end the work week, and begin my (one day long) weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment